Friday, April 8, 2011

4/8/2011 - a deeply philosophical musing. . .

I originally had this whole post planned out for today, a deeply philosophical musing on time, birthdays, the difference in distance between 11:59 to midnight versus 12:01 to midnight.  It was going to be great stuff; you would have loved it, thought I was a genius.  Some book publisher would have stumbled upon this blog, read my dissertation, and offered me a book deal right on the spot.  The post was going to be that good.

Instead, I had lunch with my friend Oliver yesterday, and our conversation drifted toward his relationship with an ex-boyfriend he still sees and fights with regularly.  The phrase, "I wish I knew how to quit you," never seemed more applicable.  I asked him how long they were together before they broke up. 

"I couldn't say," he said.  "If you ask him, he would say that we were brothers.  We were best friends.  We were fuck buddies and worthy adversaries.  But no, we were never boyfriends."

I'm not even being facetious when I say this, nor am I unsubtly trying to slip in a musical theater reference, but seriously, say that soft and it's almost like praying.  Maybe it's been a long time since I've read a good poem, even longer since I've written one, but hell if this weren't one of the most poetic things I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment