Sunday, April 10, 2011

4/10/2011 - positive thinking and such. . .

Today is Sunday, which means I begin dreading the work week to come.  This cycle of mourning happens every Sunday at the passing of every weekend.  This morning, I woke up with the tragic realization that I have worked nine five-day workweeks in a row without a vacation day, and I have seven more to go before Memorial Day.

What a way to wake up.  I don't know why I do this to myself.

But, as I laid there contemplating life and shunning the call of day, I tried to reroute the train of thought I was on.  You know, in the spirit of gratitude and positive thinking and such. . .  So I compiled a list of the things I have to look forward in the next week, which would include:

  • Sam and I are going to see Quidam, one of my favorite travelling Cirque du Soleil shows, which is making an appearance here in the City.  I know I spent a post here berating Cirque's fall from grace some time ago, but I think they gave birth to this show near the apex of their creative output.  The individual acts challenge the realm of possibility while the theme of the entire show highlights the commonality we all share with each other, yet simultaneously celebrates our individuality, the rare and necessary pieces of our humanity.
  • My Rapid Transit a cappella rehearsal is in San Francisco this Monday.  After last week's, which was held in Oakland (or about an hour away by BART and bike), I have much to be thankful for when I only have to bike 10 minutes to get there this week.
  • Tax day is coming, which, despite its negative connotations, actually is something of a windfall this year for us, if we could just get our act together and file.
  • The sun is forecast to be out all week, which means pleasant biking weather for me and great park-going weather for Grr.
And finally, on April 19th, Lady Gaga will release the second single off of her yet-to-be-released Born This Way album; it will be called "Judas."

In talking to Gordon about her the other night, he said that he has high hopes for "Judas."  While he certainly can appreciate the spirit in which the song "Born This Way" was delivered, he didn't feel like it was Gaga enough.  I'm not sure if I agree, as I do like the song, but I also know that hearing it for the first time did not make me feel the same way I did when I first heard "Bad Romance," the opening chant of, "Rah-rah ah-ah-ah, roma rama-ma . ."  It felt like a call to action, even if I had no idea how I was supposed to act.

I, too, have high hopes for "Judas."  And it may seem strange, even a little sad, I know, but as we get closer to next week, all I will be able to think about is how I can't wait to hear what Lady Gaga has done.

At the very least, it will make the drone of my workweek seem that much more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment