Saturday, April 30, 2011

4/30/2011 - quality, immersive bonding time. . .

Though not nearly as biblical in length as the last time, Sam and I are returning to my parents' house for an extended stay today.  Because Sam is off to yet another business trip, where last time I luxuriated in the subsequent solitude, silence, the spaciousness of our bed, I now have to consider how Grr fits in with all of that.

And after some thought: not well.  He has some separation anxiety; everywhere I go in the house, I hear his two little tags clanging against each other.  If I can't see him, I immediately wonder what kind of trouble he could get into.  And he's a total bed hog.

At first, I thought I would take Monday off from work in order to stay home with him and mitigate any of his loneliness and bodily function disasters, but my big project launches early next week, so my presence, though probably not critical, is likely much appreciated, at the very least to the same extent my absence would be noted.

I also have my Rapid Transit rehearsal Monday night in Oakland (i.e., across the pond), so Grr would essentially be left to his own devices all day.  His own devices terrify me.

I considered the doggy hotel down the street, but like a parent sending his children off to their first day at preschool, I just can't imagine how Grr would fare without a familiar face for such an extended amount of time.

So what better opportunity, then, to bring him to my mom and dad's for some quality, immersive bonding time?  It certainly worked when I brought Sam home while we renovated our loft.

Like I said in a previous post (which, as of yesterday, is also posted here [today's post is not a shameless plug for that, by the way <a shameful one, maybe>]), the 40 days and nights we stayed with them were really quite wonderful, if for no other reason other than the better understanding of each other we all left with afterwards--a greater appreciation, at least from my perspective, for the relationships, romantic and familial, I shared with each of them.  And of course, we were also very pampered, treated like adults, but cared for like children, with the perfect balance of attention and independence.  During, I was completely embroiled in construction drama so I couldn't take the time to think of much else, but afterwards, I really do think back and consider it to be one of the greatest few weeks in recent years.

I don't need my parents to bond with Grr the same way they did with Sam, but I do need to know that someone will look after him in my absence, and I'm certain that my parents will bestow upon Grr the same amount of care they did with me and Sam.  Yes, it will only be for one day, but why send Grr off to strangers when I know there are two people who will bathe him in affection for the duration of his stay?

I won't have to worry about Grr sleeping on the cold, unforgiving ground in a cage of a kennel.  If my mom had her say, Grr's feet would never touch the ground, ridiculous as it may seem given his size:


When Sam and I left their house late last year and moved back to our newly renovated home, we both said that it was so much better staying with mom and dad.  If our feelings were any indication, I suspect Grr may never want to come back to the City either.

No comments:

Post a Comment