Friday, March 4, 2011

3/4/2011 - wonderful nothingness. . .

Tonight is Friday night.  The most exciting decision Sam and I faced was whether to get pizza from Costco or Goat Hill, and I think that was pretty awesome.

I left work early today because the office building was undergoing some sort of power maintenance.  Though it only amounted to shaving off one hour of my workday , I left my cubicle with the same excitement I had when my junior high gave us Minimum Days.

I biked home and said hi to Grr.  He did this helicopter thing with his tail instead of wagging it back and forth;  apparently, he loves Minimum Days too.  Half an hour later, we were at the park, meeting new dogs and rolling in the grass.  It occurred to me that soon, the bars would open, if not already for happy hour.  People were probably already getting their buzzes on while Sam and I watched Grr wrestling with some smaller dogs.  People were probably getting dressed for dinner, sitting in traffic to cross the bridge that will take them into the City where an entire evening (and maybe even night) would unveil itself to them.

Some might even be coming to our neighborhood, as we have several bars and clubs within a few blocks.  Last week, Grr and I saw a couple who looked like they stepped right off the set of Beetlejuice but never got out of their costumes.  The woman smiled at Grr and said he had the cutest little face (something he gets a lot, the lucky dog), so I guess I can overlook her tragic wardrobe selection.

Not that I'm one to judge, as I will be in sweats and an oversized T-shirt by 8:00 if I can help it.  Hopefully, I will be slouched on the couch watching my new (and only) favorite cartoon, Sym-Bionic Titan.  The pizza box would be empty, I would be full, and the evening would still have plenty of wonderful nothingness to offer.

Though in (mostly) a good way, the past two weeks have been so exhausting that I have never looked forward to a Friday more than I did today.  Well, I was definitely excited to go to the trampoline park two weeks ago, but that almost feels like it happened in a different lifetime.  In someone else's life altogether.

Today, and the days before, the only thing I wanted to do on this Friday night was spend time on the couch and time in bed.  If I was a lame, unfun homebody before (and some would argue that I was and still am), Grr has helped me transcend to a whole new level of homebodiness.  He gives me a reason to stay at home, justifies my lack of interest in the 'scene.'  I barely even consider going out to dinner anymore.  Other than the dog park, I have not left the house this week for fun.  And while the park has been fun, I'm not rushing to write in to Urban Daddy to suggest it as the next place to be seen. 

Adult, human-related fun?  A thing of the past.  It's all about dog parks, dozing off by eight, and asleep by 9:30 these days.  Tonight, I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yea! I slept for 12 hours, albeit with a few interruptions here and there. Still, best (or longest) night of sleep in a while!

    ReplyDelete