Saturday, July 23, 2011

7/23/2011 - wish fulfillment. . .

I never bought into "The Secret," that pseudo-spiritual, but mostly pseudo, "movement" built on the belief that positive energy begets positive outcomes, mostly of the financial sort.  I firmly believe in positivity and how people are attracted, whether knowingly or not, to someone who exudes a sense of confidence and good.  In theory, this blog was built on that principle.

However, I don't believe that if I told the universe that I am ready for a life of wealth and power, it will come to me without hard work.  Conversely, I don't believe that I do not live a life of wealth and power simply because I did not phrase it in a way that the universe understands, or because I did not think positively enough.

But lately, it seems that whatever I ask for, even if I don't actually ask, I have been given freely (by the universe?) and without much of my effort.  This morning, I received an e-mail from the music director of Rapid Transit A Cappella, giving a high-level guideline on how to arrange music for the group.  I am obsessed with the idea that I want to sing a showtune with them, but it seems difficult to implement this if I can't arrange the music myself.  A difficult task, for sure, but not impossible, I don't think, as I should have enough of a grasp on music theory to be able to muddle through.  And right when I got to thinking that I just don't know how to begin, I get this e-mail to hold my hand.

In my job search, I've hit up against a wall, and right when I told Sam that a headhunter might come in handy if only I knew where to find one, I randomly met a woman at the gym a couple of days ago who hunts heads in San Francisco.

And yesterday, I walked to Union Square on my lunch break to buy the third and final installment of God of War for the Playstation 3.  I decided that I would not pay more than $20 for the game, which is now over a year old, a reasonable parameter with all the used copies of it floating around.  Of course, when I got to GameStop, the used version was $26.  Fortunately, I have no self-discipline, so I took it up to the register anyway, fully prepared to break my resolution by $6.  Without any prompting, the cashier asked if I would like a new copy instead since they were on sale for $14.99.

What else can I ask for before my streak of wish fulfillment comes to an end?

No comments:

Post a Comment