Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2/23/2011 - like a flash. . .

I'll try and make this the last post I do on (now tentatively-named) Grr this week, or at least for a few days.  Well, maybe until Friday, since I kind of already know what I want to write about tomorrow.

Anyway, as wonderful (and wonderfully tiring) as Grr's presence in our lives has been, one factor is slightly less than wonderful: cost.  Already, the price of adopting him, including food, crate, toys, puppy mats, wipes, treats, etc. is quickly creeping up to the four-digit mark, and we haven't even taken him to his first vet visit yet.  I think a part of the cost can be attributed to one surprising discovery: for all of Sam's posturing on being the tough guy, above it all and hard to the core, he has been an exceptionally patient and doting parent, if not a little indulgent.  The floor of our house now looks like a shelf at PetCo; no expenses were spared in providing him all that a first-'born' puppy should have.

Another surprise was that I did not mind--me, who usually thinks twice before ordering soda at a restaurant because I don't want to pay two dollars for something I can get for much less at Safeway.  It helps that prior to Grr, Sam and I were in the process of planning a trip back out to Oahu to recreate one of the best vacations I (and I think we) had ever had.  Not only is it less of a possibility now from a financial perspective, but there is no way we could just leave him in a kennel or doggy hotel for a week.  It would break Sam's heart.

Of course, I am slightly disappointed in not being able to take the trip.  The last time we were there was about three years ago.  We stayed at a small boutique hotel off of the main Waikiki strip, and quickly settled into a routine of waking up, eating, playing at the beach, eating, playing at the beach, and eating.  We watched almost every evening's sunset, how the sun sinks into the Pacific with a brief flash of green.  Whether it actually happens or it exists only in our eyes, something in our brains, we were fascinated by it.

When I think back to the trip, I remember most clearly those moments when we sat on the rock wall of Waikiki's Queen's Surf Beach (fitting, I know), watching those sunsets.  I remember feeling like never in my life had I ever taken the time to do nothing but watch the day literally go by.  I look back on this trip as the quintessential vacation that all other vacations aspire to be, even though I have nothing left from this experience other than a few photos and the memories in my head. 

And then there's Grr.  I told Sam this evening that, God willing, Grr will be with us for at least another 10 or 15 years.  I know his puppy days will not last for long; it will be like a flash of green in a sunset and before I know it, I will be 40 years old on his 10th "birthday."  It's hard to envision anything of my life in 10 years, what I will be doing and where, and who will be a part of it.  I have my hopes, sure, but who can say?  Yet certain as I am that Grr will turn Sam into an over-protective mom (while Grr and I were playing tug-of-war, Sam actually told me to let Grr win sometimes because it will be good for his puppy self-esteem), I know that we and Grr will be together then.  I see his face, the eager way he looks up at me when I watch him from the balcony, and I feel like he is already waiting to meet us there.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get pet insurance? Many plans will reimburse vaccinations, anesthesia, teeth cleaning, etc.

    It's well worth it for a new doggie. Vet costs can add up quickly. For routine stuff, what you get reimbursed will pay for the cost of the plan. However (and hopefully not needed), if Grr gets really sick and needs major medical care, many plans cover cancer issues, broken legs, tumors, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't thought about pet insurance, but it wouldn't hurt, right? Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it. =)

    ReplyDelete