Sunday, January 2, 2011

1/1/2011 - and earlier still. . .

Today's Grati-Thing: time.

I think it is actually quite fitting that my first real entry is about time. Not just that I have 13 minutes until my self-imposed deadline goes by, but this moment of writing and watching the time go by, and all the moments that led up to this moment, and all the moments before that.

Tomorrow is Sunday, so there are still about 32 hours between me and work. It is 11:47 PM, about 2 hours past when I am normally asleep, whether tucked nicely in bed or passed out on the couch.   Sam is sitting downstairs watching Japanese anime.  I am in the office, typing and trying to block out the sounds of truly horrendous voiceover work.

We had just returned from an amazingly cooked dinner with friends, feeling full and sleepy. Earlier this weekend, we had spent New Year's Eve with my parents playing mahjong. Earlier this month, we had all taken a trip to Las Vegas, drove over an hour outside of city limits and explored the Valley of Fire. Earlier still, Sam and I had moved in with my parents for a over a month while our loft was being renovated. And earlier still, my dad had successfully undergone heart surgery, coming out feeling like the person he wants to be, able to do the things he wants to do. And earlier still, and earlier still. . .

My deadline has now come and gone, and I have technically failed in my endeavors to post one entry a day. I'm not sure I even clearly conveyed what I am thankful for. I tried, though, somewhere in that last paragraph; I was filled with gratitude. All of it, really, down to the last word. You can pick your favorite one and go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment